Basketball sets goals to finish this season strong

The players face challenges but strive to achieve the best out of it

Luis Correa

Point guard Vincent Prado faces an opponent while playing McCallum High School on Dec. 4. The team lost with a final score of 57 – 68.

Sadie Adams, Staff Writer

Starting off the season with some very close wins, the basketball team is eager to finish off the season with many accomplishments, including wins and great sportsmanship.

The girls basketball team has had 11 games so far this season. They are 1-2 in district play. They beat Del Valle 50 – 44 and lost to Bowie and Lehman.

“The team just needs more motivation to push through the rest of the season,”  Kaitlyn Egdorf said.

With only one senior remaining on the girls varsity team, Brooklyn Childer said she feels like her job is to lead the team on and follow through with dedication and motivation to keep the team on a path to success.

“I feel like if we just keep pushing each other to do the best we can do and work hard, we will have some successful wins,” Childer said.

Although there have been very few wins this season, there is still a full season ahead of them and they are prepared to work hard and have good sportsmanship whether it’s a win or a loss.

As for the boys’ season, they have played 11 games as well. The boys have only had one district game this season with a loss to Anderson but they are 5-6 in preseason and non district games.

“All we can do is motivate each other and try to get some wins out of the season,”  Point guard Tre Akers said. Although the boys varsity team has lost a few games, the have evenly won the same amount coming in at 4-4 to start the season off.

The water-damaged basketball court prevents the school from hosting two games at the same time forcing game times to start later than normal. Some B Team games have been rescheduled to Wednesdays and Saturdays because of it.

With varsity games starting at 8 p.m. now it means the players have to wait longer to play and make it back home later.

“It makes it hard because our games are later and we get home later but we can’t let that stop us,” Childer said.

Girls Basketball Head Coach Jane Martin said the floor problem is more of an annoyance the teams are having to work around rather than a major problem.

“It’s very annoying but we have to work with what we’ve got,” Martin said. “It’s not going to stop us from doing our best.”

Freshman A team Coach Marcy Emerick said that the teams are getting stronger every day have have a lot of potential for achieving success.

“Even though the season has just started, there is still a lot of room for improvement,” Emerrick said. “And that is why we practice different strategies to push improvement everyday.”