New golf coach commutes to Akins

Norris also assist with girls, boys junior varsity soccer teams

Coach Thomas Norris, poses for a picture as Akins official golf coach. Norris is a Texas history at Paredes Middle School.

Maheen Anjum, Features Editor

When he’s not at home with his family, teaching school or out on the soccer field, you can find Coach Tommy Norris on the golf course.

“I don’t want students to feel embarrassed by saying they are going to go play golf. They think golf is just this sport on TV that you fall asleep to,” said Norris, who took over as golf coach this fall when long time golf coach David Lopez moved to become an assistant principal at Martin Middle School.

Norris or a player acknowledges that golf suffers from an image problem. Many young people see it as a sport for the older generation.

Golf is the first and so far the only sport played on the moon. It is centuries old, enjoyed by millions throughout the world, and golf remains a valued physical activity hybrid of entertainment and patience.

“I use to be one of those people who thought golf was a boring sport because I was a caddy,” said senior Madison Round. “But when you actually hit your first shot, your interest will start to grow. You can try so many different angles and views to hit the ball where you want it to go and I fell in love with golf instantly.”

The Akins Golf Team is in a recovery year after Lopez left. Norris teaches 7th grade Texas History at Paredes Middle School and comes to coach at Akins three to four times a week. He also helps out as a soccer coach for junior varsity “B” boys and girls team.

“Golf is a sport you can play forever. You can play it when you’re 18 and when you’re 80,” Norris said.

Senior Fabian Vargas was attracted to golf after conversing with Norris about the sport.

“He said it was a sport that was fun to play. It’s a sport that had no pressure and a sport that you only got better in and that sounded nice to me, “Vargas said.

Vargas also mentioned that he is glad to have Coach Norris, knowing he has years of experience in his background with golf.

Norris was on the Hays High School golf team and played golf at the University of Texas. He said he was excited to become the golf coach, believing he will have an amazing time meeting new students with the same passion as him.

“I would like 20 boys and 20 girls (on the team) I try to involve students who realize they can do something in life to make them better each day,” Norris said.

Currently, the Akins golf team has nine boys who are on the team and hopes to recruit more girls next semester.

“We are very new but we have one pretty experienced player — sophomore Antonio Vela — and beginners who instantly fall in love with it.You just have to give golf a chance and not base it off of what it is on TV,” Norris said.