Soccer teams work to improve communication for wins

Cassie Obi

Freshman soccer players compete in Copa Akins hosted on campus in January.

Luis Canales, Staff Writer

A game of soccer can be like a game of “Telephone” for a captain trying to communicate with their players across a 120 yard-field.

During a typical soccer game the captain focuses on keeping the team together and communicating with one another to insure the team’s success. But if a player doesn’t hear the message right, things can go wrong, resulting in miscues and missed opportunities.

“In the beginning we weren’t that organized, but now we’re actually operating better,” Duberli Ruvalcaba, Boys Varsity Soccer team captain.

The boys team is in a current state of flux with four games down and a total of 16 games they have no wins. However, team captain and sophomore Ruvalcaba believes they can still make it to the play- offs.

“Honestly, if we pick it up I think we can, we just need to actually try,” Ruvalcaba said.

The boys team finished in third in district last season with a record of 8 – 4. Even though they are currently 0 – 4 they could still finish the season with a winning record, but they would need to win every game left in the season.

Akins goalie Adrian Flores-Maya believes that the team has improved much more than when they originally began.

“The season started a little rough but as some of the players started to it more seriously,” Flores-Maya said. “It’s gotten better on the field so we started playing better on the field against big name teams like Westlake and Bowie.”

Adrian says that if the team keeps playing the way they have for the past two games and improving the way they have they’ll definitely make the playoffs at season’s end.

“The season started a little rough but as some of the players started to it more seriously it’s gotten better,” Flores-Maya said.

Akins Girls Varsity soccer team is also in currently state of flux. So far the girls team has lost every game against their district rivals, but the team captains Deyfilia Mora and Samaria Ramos, think they still have a chance to turn things around.

We’re doing pretty good with teamwork, but we definitely need to work on communication on and off the field.

— Deyfilia Mora

“We’re doing pretty good with teamwork, but we definitely need to work on communication on and off the field,” Mora said.

She also hopes to keep the future in mind even while the current season unfolds.

“Next year I plan on improving myself just as being captain and leading the team and hopefully to the playoffs,” Mora said.

Jeniffer Lopez plays center mid or left defense for Akins Girls Varsity Soccer team. She believes that if there should be good communication between teammates and that with that will come a better team.

“Communication is a major key in any relationship. If we learn to communicate better with each other we will be success- ful, no doubt,” Lopez said.

When asked about the team as a whole she responded with,“with a lot of new people playing this year we’re still working on playing more efficiently with one another, but other than that we have a pretty solid team.”

Lopez believes that the team’s communication is what will help them to get to the playoffs.

“To be able to make it to playoffs we would need to work harder on communication and skill, but other than that, with the heart my team has and the hard work we put in,” Lopez said, “I believe we can make it.”