Girls soccer team struggles after good preseason

Coach optimistic in Varsity’s offensive skills despite disappointing performances

Captain+Heidy+Fuentes+%28right%29+and+Itzel+Moreno+%28left%29+work+for+possession+of+the+ball+against+Del+Valle.+

Alejandro Castro

Captain Heidy Fuentes (right) and Itzel Moreno (left) work for possession of the ball against Del Valle.

Sergio Hernandez, Staff Writer

The Varsity soccer girls have started the year off with the right foot.

Having only lost two games from the pre season and tournaments, the girls look really sharp for the upcoming districts games.

“The varsity team this year looks really strong compared to other years,” he said.

“We’re the best offense I’ve seen since I’ve been here,” Cannon said.

Having scored more than 10 goals in their first three preseason games has the team feeling confident about their chances for success and making the playoffs.

While the team tied San Marcos High Rattlers in their first district game 0-0 in regular play the team lost the game 2-4 based on penalty kicks.

After losing some games the girls watch a video of the game and analyze it to see what they did wrong, than practice more on that area.

“We watch the videos and analyze them really good to understand what we need to work on,” co-captain Sarai Sanchez said.

However,  just like any other team they can still  work to improve themselves both in and out of the field.

“We can definitely improve on our communication in the games. We tend to lack a lot in that aspect. We also need to work on keeping our head up and finding teammates,” Sanchez said.

Cannon said  there are a good amount of things they can work on, but the two most important things are spacing, and positioning in the field.

Although the girls have things to work on, they really have a chance of making it to playoffs for the first time in Akins history.

The girls will have to overcome some big challenges in order to qualify for playoffs. They will have to face off against some of the strongest opponents in district and even state like Anderson and Bowie high schools. Although the team has those challenges and more to face they are more confident than ever.

The majority of the team is made up of seniors. Being last year playing a high school sport would make any senior nervous both in and outside the game, but that’s not the case for the girl’s soccer seniors.

“We’re not nervous at all, I think we’re more excited and prepared for the season,” varsity captain Deyfilia Betzaly said.