"Everything that concerns you"

Volleyball girls unite to improve their record

Team faces challenge of mixing old and young players by including two freshmen on team

Freshman Shanti Ramdeen (12) goes for a spike as two players form the Anderson Trojans try to black it on Sept. 26. The Lady Eagles lost the game 0-3.

Alejandro Castro

Alejandro Castro

Larry Durden II, Staff Writer

Starting this season with an 8 and 1 pre season record, the volleyball girls are planning to not only start the season off with a bang, but also beat their showing in the playoffs last year.

With only four remaining seniors, the team is going to face the challenge of having to be able to play with younger players on varsity. With that being said they’ll have to adjust and work together as a team.

Coach Amanda Thomas preaches about the team working together everyday when the girls practice.

“I used the example of a rope, explaining to them that each piece of the rope represents our team, and I encouraged the team not to let go of each other regardless if you are a newcomer or if you been in the program for a while.”

Four-year varsity player Brittney Roberts said that the team has new people and so far the newcomers have been a good change for the team.

“We have a lot of new faces on the team, and that brings a good change,” Roberts said. Roberts also said she loves playing with the new people.

“They all bring a new style to the game …. none of us are alike and I think that’s what makes playing a team sport so great,” Robert said.

“You get to meet people from all walks of life and it’s never a boring day with them.”

One of the new faces is freshman Shanti Ramdeen. She said it was a bit nerve wracking to join the varsity team as a freshman.

“Simply playing and the thought of messing up really makes me nervous, so it can be very nerve wracking being a freshman on varsity,” Ramdeen said.

Coral Rolon, who is another freshman on varsity, said she sees the experience as a challenge that pushes her to do her best.

“The thought of competing with some girls who are probably recruiting to colleges …. can be nerve wracking at times,” she said.

Senior Aricia Amaro said that the underclassmen are playing on a level to where it doesn’t appear that they are freshman.

“We have two freshman, they actually are both really good. It doesn’t seem like they are freshman,” Amaro said.

Junior Emily De La Garza said she is confident with the new players.

Though the freshman may feel nervous with maintaining that spot, the older players still feel that they are doing a great job working with their teammates.