Golf at Akins gets multi-talented athletes who show improvement

EJ hernandez, Staff Writer

When sophomore Jaidyn Trevino tells other students she plays golf, she gets some funny reactions.

“People don’t believe it when I say I play golf ” Trevino said about their reactions.

The Akins golf team is small, numbering only ten boys and six girls, and misunderstood by many Akins students.

“Students should consider joining golf because it is a challenge, it’s a personal challenge that the biggest competitor you face every time you step on the course is yourself,” Coach Thomas Norris

saidCurrently, several of the golf team members play other sports including Maya Romero, who plays basketball; Zac Cole, who plays baseball; and Trevino who plays basketball.

“Basketball is always in the mornings and golf has fairly good practices days and if they get be- tween basketball days, Coach Norris and I always find a way to work out my schedule,”Trevino said.

Trevino said she was inspired to play golf because of her dad, who used to play in high school and went to regionals twice.

“I thought maybe I’d get pretty far if I gave it a shot,” she said. “Not everyone likes it but you have to get to know the sport to actually enjoy it.” Norris mentions about if you’re not to sure if you want to play golf he has a lot of his golf clubs of his own for the students to test out, then says the students and him can discuss about what clubs they can buy.

Some might be surprised to and out how competitive the sport can be.

“It’s very competitive, people go out there to win and the girls that I’ve played in the past have been playing since 7th and 8th grade and are very experienced,”Trevino said.

With golf comes with a lot of practice, technique, and form.

“One of the biggest things we work on in practice because if you can’t hit the ball then either your hand gripping is incorrect or your stance,” she said.

They practice at Jimmy Clay Golf Course two days out the week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Some of the courses they play at include Jimmy Clay, Onion Creek and Plum Creek.

Another thing that she mentioned is they start off practice with a bucket of balls and hit them on the driving range then after they all go chip and putt on the green for about 15 minutes.

Norris said there are many benefits to golf.

“Golf is one of the greatest networking tools out there. If you spend four hours with strangers and can get along with them you’ll be prepared for other life situations,”

Norris said those interested in joining golf, contact him at [email protected].