Say goodbye to online flash games before 2020 ends

Tera Braly

By the end of December 2020, most of the Flash games we grew up playing on Cool Math Games and many other sites will no longer be supported by modern Internet browsers.

Frank Duran, Staff Writer

RIP Adobe Flash Player.

You were a big part of my youth. You were the engine that powered many of my favorite time-killing online games that I played at school when teachers were not looking. You were a great escape from boredom and I will always remember the joy you brought to me since I first met you in middle school

That’s right. By the end of December 2020, most of the Flash games we grew up playing on Cool Math Games and many other sites will no longer be supported by modern Internet browsers.

Web developers use Flash to support animations and videos when browsing the Web. However, open Web standards like HTML5 have become the favored method of supporting multimedia and interactive content.

In July 2017, Adobe announced that it would completely end support for Flash in December 2020. Browser makers were years ahead of Adobe’s announcement because Flash is seen as a general security problem, according to an article published on Redmond Magazine.

They’ve already initiated efforts to restrict Flash from running in browsers, except with user consent. the current Google Chrome browser will block Flash and use HTML5 by default, while the current Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers will make users request Flash activation before running it. Flash is turned off by default for Apple’s Safari browser.

So for web users like you and me, this means that a lot of free online games are not going to work anymore. Games like Jacksmith and games like Bloxorz these games are not going to be able to be played anymore.

What is sad is that there are a lot of classic Flash games that will just no longer work after December 2020. Many of us grew up playing Cool Math Games because they were the only online games that didn’t get blocked by the district filters

When I was in 7th grade, a few of my favorite games to play were Crazy Taxi M-12, Cargo Bridge and Isoball X-1.

And then when I got to high school I secretly played Learn to fly 2 when my teachers weren’t looking to kill time.

Many of these games will become obsolete and will never be converted to work on HTML 5 based browsers. there are new online games that are just as fun or even better than these old Flash games, but it is always sad to see a piece of one’s childhood disappear. So you have been warned. You have a little over a year to play as much Jacksmith, Factory Balls or Bloxorz before they disappear from the web forever.