Food banned in Fine Arts wing after rats found inside

Eliana Gutierrez

Fliers are posted on the doors of the Fine Arts wing, warning students not bring food inside.

Eliana Gutierrez, In-Depth Editor

Holes in the walls, stained uniforms and rat feces on the floor forced administrators to ban all food in the Fine Arts building this fall.

Mid semester, AHA assistant principal Shawn Mena notified Fine Arts teachers that no food should be allowed in the building.

Bill Creel, New Tech assistant principal and interim head custodian, said the building manager had found evidence of a rodents in the Fine Arts wing.

The food ban is quite literal — no food or sugary drinks are to be stored or consumed inside the Fine Arts building.

“There was a lot of food coming into the Fine Arts building in many different areas on a regular basis,” Creel said. “So I think that’s what originally attracted (the rats) to the Fine Arts building and because of that they did create problems.”

Creel also stated he believes the only way to solve the infestation is to keep food out of the building.

Sophomore Alyssa Pasaol said orchestra has begun efforts to end the problem.

“There have been rats in (the orchestra room) where our filing cabinets are,” Pasaol said. “We had to put rat traps in there and there’s a bunch of holes in our walls all over the place.”

Fine Arts programs often require students to spend time before and after school. Sometimes students stay to rehearse or practice as late as 8 p.m. In the past, students often ate in the building before heading into practice, leaving trash cans overflowing with food wrappers.

Students now must eat outside of the building and dispose of their food before entering, which has become an inconvenience for some as cooler temperatures have arrived.

Sophomore Nevaeh O’Neal said it’s a challenge for her because she is in the Fine Arts building all the time.

Band director Tate Fincher said he believes if we “shock the system” the fine arts programs can move forward. By this Fincher means that by taking out the rat’s food source they will go elsewhere.

In October, the band program was practicing their marching show after school to late hours everyday. The physical rehearsal outside required students to obtain nutrition prior. They are thankful this problem did not arise earlier as it would have been a challenge.

“I absolutely support (the ban) I think it’s what needs to happen. I hope that it will fix the problem because I want (the students) to feel at home here. The band kids spend more time in here than they do at home,” Fincher said.

Currently, the ban remains in effect.